2011 Events Summary
- Cedarwood Toys for Tots Drive
The Cedarwood Neighborhood Association “Toys for Tots” drive ended on December 12, 2011, and was a big success! Thanks to Ella and Val for organizing the drive and to Ella, Nancy, and Sharon for offering their homes as toy drop off locations. And special thanks to everyone who donated toys. Your thoughtfulness and generosity will make some child’s Christmas morning just a bit brighter.The Toys for Tots Program collects new, unwrapped toys and distributes those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the Waltham community.
- Cedarwood Neighborhood Halloween ParadeThe early snowstorm did not deter Cedarwood residents from participating in the annual Cedarwood Neighborhood Halloween Parade that was held Sunday, October 30, 2011. The day was sunny and cold, but not too cold to melt some of the snow before parade time (2:00 PM). As in previous years, the parade started at the corner of Cedarwood Avenue and Wetherbee Road, turning left (east, towards Brandeis) on Wetherbee, then right onto Hamilton Road and continuing down to the Cedarwood Playground. The kids had a chance to try out their costumes before Halloween night trick o’ treating and all enjoyed games and refreshments at the playground.
- Annual Cedarwood Yard SaleThe weather cooperated beautifully for the 29th Annual Cedarwood Yard Sale held on Saturday, September 17. It was a perfect fall day, unusually cool at the start for mid September but warming up to the low 60’s by noon. There were close to 50 yard sales and plenty of buyers from all over Waltham and surrounding communities. Proceeds from the white elephant table’s sales of refreshments and donated items and registration fees from yard sale participants added about $500 to the Cedarwood scholarship fund!Many thanks to: George Isaac, Mary Ann, Brandy Proskoczilo, Meghan Seidman, Marisa Cuce McBrine and Val Darling for volunteering at the White Elephant Table and to Ron and Deb Pelletier for continuing to allow the White Elephant Table to be stationed on their front yard. and a big thanks as well to Amy Brown and Neil Darling for organizing this year’s sale!
- Annual PicnicOver 75 neighbors got together on Saturday, August 20th to enjoy good food, fun activities, and great company at the annual Cedarwood Picnic. Activities included a bouncy house and slide, an arts and crafts table for the children, face painting and tattoos, a magic show, and pinata. Mayor McCarthy and Councillor Giordano stopped by for a visit. Fun times with wonderful neighbors. It takes a team of generous volunteers to make the annual Picnic run smoothly and provide so much fun for adults and children alike. Heartfelt thanks to those who passed out event flyers prior to the picnic; donated grills, tables, tablecloths, and chairs; helped with set-up and clean-up; wiped down the playground equipment after the morning rain; grilled masterfully; organized the teenage volunteer committee; supervised the children’s activities; brought food and drinks to share; and greeted neighbors at the welcome table. Special thanks to our young volunteers Ashley, Emily, James, Mayaan, and Melissa, and to Hans Brings Results for Children’s Charities Fund for its generous contribution towards the bouncy house.
- 4th of July Bike Decorating Parade
Despite the fact that it was held on a summer holiday weekend (how can you hold a 4th of July event on any day but the 4th?), the parade was well-attended. The paraders met at 10:00 AM on the 4th at the corner of Cedarwood and Wetherbee. The parade proceeded to the Cedarwood Playground where donuts and coffee were served.
- 2011 New Neighbor Party
DATE: Sunday, June 26, 3-5 PM
LOCATION: Cedarwood PlaygroundThe party was held outside on our rain date, Sunday, June 26, 2011 as the weather cooperated. Many neighbors, recent as well as longtime Cedarwood residents attended, as did Mayor Jeannette McCarthy and Ward 7 councillor Joe Giordano. It was a time to make new friends and see old ones. Refreshments were provided by the Cedarwood Presidential Committee members and residents who attended. A nice touch were potted plants brought by the organizers to be taken home and planted by attendees.
- 2011 Annual Association MeetingThe meeting was held a bit later than normal this year – May 17, 2011, in the normal location – Woodside Garage. It was one of the best attended in recent years. Long-time President Will Manning and Secretary Janet Flaherty Smith were recognized for their many years of service to the Association. While their presence in Cedarwood (both are moving away) and their hard work for the Association will be sorely missed, it was heartening to see many new people volunteer to take their places. The enthusiasm at the meeting was overwhelming!